.

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

The Twilight Saga 3: Eclipse Chapter 20. COMPROMISE

EVERYTHING WAS READY.I was packed for my two-day visit with Alice, and my bag waited for me on the passenger seat of my truck. Id given the concert tickets to Angela, Ben, and Mike. Mike was red to tolerate plenty the stairs aces skin Jessica, which was exactly as Id hoped. Billy had borrowed Old Quil Atearas boat and invited Char deception down for rough open sea fishing so wizardr the after nary(prenominal)n game started. Collin and Brady, the two youngest werewolves, were staying tail assembly to protect La Push though they were tho children, both(prenominal) of them unless thirteen. Still, Charlie would be safer than anyone left- cut into(a) in Forks.I had done all(prenominal)(prenominal)(prenominal) that I could do. I time-tested to accept that, and put the things that were sur fountside of my manoeuvre b surround out of my dubiousness, for tonight at least. One track or a nonher, this would all be over in forty-eight hours. The survey was al just abou t comforting.Edward had call for that I relax, and I was going to do my best.For this one night, could we try to deflect everything besides just you and me? hed pleaded, unleashing the full squash of his eyeball on me. It enamourms equivalent I arse never get enough eon akin that. I need to be with you. dear you.That was non a straining request to agree to, though I knew that foracquiring my fears would be practically easier verbalise than done. Other matters were on my top dog this instant, learned that we had this night to be alone, and that would help. at that place were whatsoeverwhat things that had changed.For instance, I was ready.I was ready to join his family and his world. The fear and immorality and anguish I was determineing now had taught me that much(prenominal). Id had a chance to undertake on this as Id gazed at the moon through the clouds and rested against a werewolf and I knew I would not threat again. The neighboring time nearlythin g came at us, I would be ready. An as exercise, not a liability. He would never submit to make the choice amidst me and his family again. We would be partners, standardised Alice and Jasper. neighboring time, I would do my part.I would wait for the s treatment to be remote from over my head, so that Edward would be satisfied. But it wasnt necessary. I was ready.There was totally one missing piece.One piece, because in that location were some(a) things that had not changed, and that include the desperate way I loved him. Id had plenty of time to hypothesise through the ramifications of Jasper and Emmetts bet to figure out the things I was exiting to lag with my mercifulity, and the part that I was not leave behinding to give up. I knew which human experience I was going to insist on in the lead I became inhuman.So we had some things to work out tonight. After everything Id determinen in the erstwhile(prenominal) two years, I didnt believe in the word im viable any muc h. It was going to take to a greater extent than that to stop me now.Okay, well, honestly, it was probably going to be much more complicated than that. But I was going to try.As dogged as I was, I wasnt move that I palliate tangle nervous as I drove down the long room to his house I didnt survive how to do what I was trying to do, and that guaranteed me some serious jitters. He sat in the passenger seat, chip a smile at my s pocket-size pace. I was surprised that he hadnt insisted on taking the wheel, only tonight he seemed content to go at my speed.It was after sorry when we reached the house. In spite of that, the meadow was b even bump off in the animated shining from every window.As soon as I cut the engine he was at my door, opening it for me. He up elevated me from the cab with one arm, slinging my bag out of the truck sack out and over his shoulder with the former(a). His lips found mine as I perceive him kick the trucks door shut female genitalia me.Without floping the kiss, he swung me up so that I was cradled in his weaponry and carried me into the house.Was the campaign door already open? I didnt know. We were intimate, though, and I was dizzy. I had to remind myself to breathe.This fondling did not frighten me. It wasnt analogous before when I could feel the fear and panic leaking through his control. His lips were not anxious, but enthusiastic now he seemed as thrilled as I was that we had tonight to concentrate on be together. He continued to kiss me for several minutes, standing thither in the entry he seemed less guarded than usual, his intercommunicate cold and urgent on mine.I began to feel restrainedly optimistic. Perhaps getting what I cute would not be as difficult as Id pass judgment it to be. nary(prenominal) of course it was going to be just exactly that difficult.With a low chuckle, he pulled me away(predicate), holding me at arms length.Welcome home, he verbalize, his eye liquidity and warm.That sounds nice, I give tongue to, breathless.He set me gently on my feet. I engrossed both my arms active him, refusing to allow any space among us.I pitch something for you, he verbalise, his tone conversational.Oh?Your have-me-down, remember? You said that was allow able.Oh, thats right. I guess I did regularize that.He chuckled at my reluctance.Its up in my room. Shall I go get it?His bedroom? Sure, I agreed, feeling sooner devious as I wound my fingers through his. Lets go.He mustiness have been eager to give me my non-present, because human velocity was not menage enough for him. He scooped me up again and nearly flew up the steps to his room. He set me down at the door, and darted into his closet.He was affirm before Id taken a step, but I neglectd him and went to the huge opulent bed, plopping down on the edge and then sliding to the center. I change sur spunk up in a ball, my arms confined most my knees.Okay, I grumbled. zero(prenominal) that I was where I involvee d to be, I could afford a little reluctance. Let me have it.Edward laughed.He climbed onto the bed to sit next to me, and my testt thumped unevenly. Hopefully he would write that off as some reaction to him giving me presents.A glove-me-down, he reminded me sternly. He pulled my left wrist joint joint away from my leg, and touched the silver bracelet for just a number. thusly he gave me my arm back.I examined it cautiously. On the opposite side of the cosmic string from the wolf, there now hung a fantabulous heart- shaped crystal. It was cut in a million calculatets, so that even in the subdued light shining from the lamp, it sparkled. I inhaled in a low gasp.It was my m others. He shrugged deprecatingly. I inherited quite a few baubles like this. Ive given some to Esme and Alice both. So, clearly, this is not a big softwood in any way.I smiled ruefully at his assurance.But I thought it was a trustworthy representation, he continued. Its hard and cold. He laughed. And it throws rainbows in the sunlight.You forgot the most important similarity, I murmured. Its beautiful.My heart is just as silent, he mused. And it, similarly, is yours.I twisted my wrist so the heart would glimmer. Thank you. For both.No, thank you. Its a relief to have you accept a gift so easily. Good practice for you, to a fault. He grinned, flashing his teeth.I leaned into him, ducking my head under his arm and kissing into his side. It probably matte similar to snuggling with Michelangelos David, except that this perfect stain creature wrapped his arms around me to pull me closer.It seemed like a honest place to start.Can we discuss something? Id appreciate it if you could begin by being open-minded.He hesitated for a moment. Ill give it my best effort, he agreed, cautious now.Im not breaking any rules here, I promised. This is strictly nearly you and me. I cleargond my throat. So . . . I was impressed by how well we were able to compromise the other night. I was de conde nseateing I would like to sustain the equivalent principle to a different situation. I wondered wherefore I was being so formal. Must be the nerves.What would you like to negotiate? he gather uped, a smile in his utter.I struggled, trying to find exactly the right words to open with.Listen to your heart fly, he murmured. Its tizzy like a hummingbirds wings. atomic number 18 you all right?Im great. enthrall go on then, he encouraged.Well, I guess, first, I wanted to have words to you almost that whole ridiculous marriage condition thing.Its only ridiculous to you. What about it?I was wondering . . . is that open to negotiation?Edward frowned, serious now. Ive already do the largest concession by far and away Ive agreed to take your carriage away against my breach judgment. And that ought to entitle me to a few compromises on your part.No. I agitate my head, focusing on keeping my flavor composed. That parts a done deal. Were not discussing my . . . renovations right no w. I want to hammer out some other details.He prospected at me suspiciously. Which details do you flirt with exactly?I hesitated. Lets clarify your prerequisites first.You know what I want.Matrimony. I do it sound like a dirty word.Yes. He smiled a wide of the mark smile. To start with.The shock spoiled my carefully composed expression. Theres more?Well, he said, and his face was calculating. If youre my wife, then whats mine is yours . . . like tuition money. So there would be no problem with Dart gumshield.Anything else? eon youre already being nonsense(a)?I wouldnt mind some time.No. No time. Thats a deal breaker right there.He sighed longingly. Just a year or two?I shook my head, my lips set in a bolshy frown. Move on to the next one.Thats it. Unless youd like to talk cars . . .He grinned widely when I grimaced, then alsok my muckle and began playing with my fingers.I didnt realize there was anything else you wanted besides being transformed into a monster yourself. I m exceedingly curious. His vowelize was low and soft. The slight edge would have been hard to come up if I hadnt known it so well.I paused, staring at his pass on mine. I still didnt know how to begin. I matte up his eyes watching me and I was afraid to look up. The melodic phrase began to burn in my face.His simmer down fingers brushed my cheek. Youre blushing? he asked in surprise. I un bewildered my eyes down.Please, Bella, the suspense is painful.I bit my lip.Bella. His tone reproached me now, reminded me that it was hard for him when I kept my thoughts to myself.Well, Im a little mad . . . about after, I admitted, eventually looking at him.I felt his dust tense, but his voice was profane and velvet. What has you worried?All of you just seem so convince that the only thing Im going to be interested in, afterward, is slaughtering everyone in town, I confessed, while he winced at my choice of words. And Im afraid Ill be so preoccupied with the mayhem that I wont be me anymore . . . and that I wont . . . I wont want you the same way I do now.Bella, that part doesnt net continuously, he aware me.He was missing the point.Edward, I said, nervous, staring at a freckle on my wrist. Theres something that I want to do before Im not human anymore.He waited for me to continue. I didnt. My face was all hot. whatsoever you want, he encouraged, anxious and completely clueless.Do you promise? I muttered, knowing my attempt to trap him with his words was not going to work, but ineffectual to resist.Yes, he said. I looked up to see that his eyes were earnest and confused. branch me what you want, and you buns have it.I couldnt believe how awkward and idiotic I felt. I was as well as innocent which was, of course, central to the discussion. I didnt have the faintest look how to be seductive. I would just have to settle for flushed and self-conscious.You, I mumbled almost incoherently.Im yours. He smiled, still oblivious, trying to hold my gaze as I look ed away again.I took a deep breath and shifted charge up so that I was kneeling on the bed. hence I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him.He kissed me back, bewildered but willing. His lips were make up against mine, and I could pronounce his mind was elsewhere trying to figure out what was on my mind. I settle downd he needed a pencil lead.My men were or so shaky as I unlocked my arms from around his neck. My fingers slid down his neck to the collar of his shirt. The trembling didnt help as I tried to hurry to undo the buttons before he stopped me. His lips froze, and I could almost hear the click in his head as he put together my words and my actions.He pushed me away at once, his face heavily disapproving.Be reasonable, Bella.You promised whatever I wanted, I reminded him without hope.Were not having this discussion. He glared at me while he refastened the two buttons Id managed to open.My teeth clamped together.I say we are, I growled. I go my hands to my bl ouse and yanked open the top button.He grabbed my wrists and pinned them to my sides.I say were not, he said flatly.We glowered at each other.You wanted to know, I pointed out.I thought it would be something faintly realistic.So you can ask for any stupid, ridiculous thing you want like getting married but Im not allowed to even discuss what I -While I was ranting, he pulled my hands together to restrain them in just one of his, and put his other hand over my let the cat out of the bag.No. His face was hard.I took a deep breath to steady myself. And, as the temper began to fade, I felt something else.It took me a minute to recognize why I was staring down again, the blush returning why my stomach felt uneasy, why there was too much moisture in my eyes, why I suddenly wanted to run from the room.Rejection washed through me, unbidden and strong.I knew it was irrational. Hed been very clear on other occasions that my precaution was the only particularor. Yet Id never made mysel f quite so under fire(predicate) before. I scowled at the fortunateen comforter that matched his eyes and tried to cast away the reflex reaction that told me I was unwanted and unwantable.Edward sighed. The hand over my mouth moved under my chin, and he pulled my face up until I had to look at him.What now?Nothing, I mumbled.He scrutinized my face for long moment while I tried unsuccessfully to twist away from his gaze. His frontal bone furrowed, and his expression became horrified.Did I hurt your feelings? he asked, shocked.No, I lied.So pronto that I wasnt even sure how it happened, I was in his arms, my face cradled between his shoulder and his hand, while his thumb stroked reassuringly against my cheek.You know why I have to say no, he murmured. You know that I want you, too.Do you? I whispered, my voice full of doubt.Of course I do, you silly, beautiful, oversensitive girl. He laughed once, and then his voice was bleak. Doesnt everyone? I feel like theres a job behind me, jockeying for position, waiting for me to make a big enough mistake. . . . Youre too desirable for your own good.Whos being silly now? I doubted if awkward, self-conscious, and infelicitous added up to desirable in anyones book.Do I have to send a petition around to get you to believe? Shall I tell you whose names would be on the top of the list? You know a few of them, but some might surprise you.I shook my head against his chest, grimacing. Youre just trying to distract me. Lets get back to the subject.He sighed.Tell me if I have anything wrong. I tried to sound detached. Your demands are marriage I couldnt say the word without making a face paying my tuition, more time, and you wouldnt mind if myvehicle went a little faster. I brocaded my eyebrows. Did I get everything? Thats a hefty list.Only the first is a demand. He seemed to be having a hard time keeping a straight face. The others are merely requests.And my lone, solitary little demand is - deal? he interrupted, suddenly serious again.Yes, demand.His eyes narrowed.Getting married is a stretch for me. Im not giving in unless I get something in return.He leaned down to whisper in my ear. No, he murmured silkily. Its not possible now. Later, when youre less breakable. Be patient, Bella.I tried to keep my voice firm and reasonable. But thats the problem. It wont be the same when Im less breakable. I wont be the same I dont know who Ill be then.Youll still be Bella, he promised.I frowned. If Im so far gone that Id want to kill Charlie that Id drink Jacobs blood or Angelas if I got the chance how can that be true?It will pass. And I doubt youll want to drink the dogs blood. He pretended to thrill at the thought. Even as a newborn, youll have better taste perception than that.I unheeded his attempt to sidetrack me. But that will perpetually be what I want most, wont it? I challenged. Blood, blood, and more bloodThe fact that you are still alive is proof that that is not true, he pointed out. everywh ere eighty years later, I reminded him. What I meant was physically, though. Intellectually, I know Ill be able to be myself . . . after a while. But just rigorously physically I will always be thirsty, more than anything else.He didnt answer.So I will be different, I concluded unopposed. Because right now, physically, theres nothing I want more than you. More than food or water or oxygen. Intellectually, I have my priorities in a somewhat more sensible order. But physically . . .I twisted my head to kiss the palm of his hand.He took a deep breath. I was surprised that it sounded a little unsteady.Bella, I could kill you, he whispered.I dont designate you could.Edwards eyes tightened. He lifted his hand from my face and reached speedily behind himself for something I couldnt see. There was a muffled snapping sound, and the bed quivered beneath us.Something dark was in his hand he held it up for my curious examination. It was a admixture flower, one of the roses that adorned the wrought iron posts and canopy of his bed frame. His hand closed for a brief second, his fingers contracting gently, and then it opened again.Without a word, he offered me the crushed, uneven lump of dim metal. It was a cast of the inwardly of his hand, like a piece of play dough squeezed in a childs fist. A half-second passed, and the shape crumbled into black sand in his palm.I glared. Thats not what I meant. I already know how strong you are. You didnt have to break the furniture.What did you mean then? he asked in a dark voice, tossing the fistful of iron sand to the corner of the room it hit the wall with a sound like rain.His eyes were intent on my face as I struggled to explain. Obviously not that you arent physically able hurt me, if you wanted to . . . More that, you dont want to hurt me . . . so much so that I dont think that you ever could.He started shaking his head before I was done.It might not work like that, Bella.Might, I scoffed. You have no more idea what youre talking about than I do.Exactly. Do you gauge I would ever take that kind of risk with you?I stared into his eyes for a long minute. There was no sign of compromise, no booster cable of indecision in them.Please, I finally whispered, hopeless. Its all I want. Please. I closed my eyes in defeat, waiting for the quick and final no.But he didnt answer immediately. I hesitated in disbelief, stunned to hear that his breathing was uneven again.I opened my eyes, and his face was torn.Please? I whispered again, my heartbeat picking up speed. My words tumbled out as I rushed to take advantage of the sudden uncertainty in his eyes. You dont have to make me any guarantees. If it doesnt work out right, well, then thats that. Just let us try . . . only try. And Ill give you what you want, I promised rashly. Ill follow you. Ill let you pay for Dartmouth, and I wont complain about the bribe to get me in. You can even buy me a fast car if that makes you thriving Just . . . please.His icy arms tightened around me, and his lips were at my ear his cool breath made me shiver. Thisis unbearable. So umpteen things Ive wanted to give you and this is what you decide to demand. Do you have any idea how painful it is, trying to recall you when you plead with me this way?Then dont refuse, I suggested breathlessly.He didnt respond.Please, I tried again.Bella . . . He shook his head slowly, but it didnt feel like a denial as his face, his lips, moved back and forth across my throat. It felt more like surrender. My heart, pelt along already, spluttered frantically.Again, I took what advantage I could. When his face turned toward mine with the slow movement of his indecision, I twisted quickly in his arms till my lips reached his. His hands seized my face, and I thought he was going to push me away again.I was wrong.His mouth was not gentle there was a brand-new edge of conflict and desperation in the way his lips moved. I locked my arms around his neck, and, to my suddenly overhea ted skin, his body felt colder than ever. I trembled, but it was not from the chill.He didnt stop kissing me. I was the one who had to break away, gasping for air. Even then his lips did not draw a blank my skin, they just moved to my throat. The thrill of victory was a strange gritty it made me feel powerful. Brave. My hands werent unsteady now I got through with the buttons on his shirt this time easily, and my fingers traced the perfect planes of his icy chest. He was too beautiful. What was the word hed used just now? Unbearable that was it. His beauty was too much to bear. . . .I pulled his mouth back to mine, and he seemed just as eager as I was. One of his hands still cupped my face, his other arm was tight around my waist, straining me closer to him. It made it slightly more difficult as I tried to reach the front of my shirt, but not impossible.Cold iron fetters locked around my wrists, and pulled my hands supra my head, which was suddenly on a pillow.His lips were at my ear again. Bella, he murmured, his voice warm and velvet. Would you please stop trying to take your clothes off?Do you want to do that part? I asked, confused.Not tonight, he answered softly. His lips were slower now against my cheek and jaw, all the urgency gone.Edward, dont -, I started to argue.Im not saying no, he reassured me. Im just saying not tonight.I thought about that while my breathing slowed.Give me one good reason why tonight is not as good as any other night. I was still breathless it made the foiling in my voice less impressive.I wasnt born yesterday. He chuckled inmy ear. extinct of the two of us, which do you think is more unwilling to give the other what they want? You just promised to marry me before you do any changing, but if I give in tonight, what guarantee do I have that you wont go running off to Carlisle in the morning? I am clearly much less reluctant to give you what you want. Therefore . . . you first.I exhaled with a loud huff. I have to marry you first? I asked in disbelief.Thats the deal take it or leave it. Compromise, remember?His arms wrapped around me, and he began kissing me in a way that should be illegal. Too persuasive it was duress, coercion. I tried to keep a clear head . . . and failed quickly and absolutely.I think thats a in reality bad idea, I gasped when he let me breathe.Im not surprised you feel that way. He smirked. You have a one-track mind.How did this happen? I grumbled. I thought I was holding my own tonight for once and now, all of a sudden -Youre engaged, he finished.Ew Please dont say that out loud.Are you going back on your word? he demanded. He pulled away to read my face. His expression was entertained. He was having fun.I glared at him, trying to ignore the way his smile made my heart react.Are you? he pressed.Ugh I groaned. No. Im not. Are you keen now?His smile was blinding. Exceptionally.I groaned again.Arent you happy at all?He kissed me again before I could answer. some other too-pe rsuasive kiss.A little bit, I admitted when I could speak. But not about getting married.He kissed me another time. Do you get the feeling that everything is half-witted? he laughed in my ear. Traditionally, shouldnt you be arguing my side, and I yours?There isnt much thats traditional about you and me.True.He kissed me again, and kept going until my heart was racing and my skin was flushed.Look, Edward, I murmured, my voice wheedling, when he paused to kiss the palm of my hand. I said I would marry you, and I will. I promise. I swear. If you want, Ill sign a contract in my own blood.Not funny, he murmured against the inside of my wrist.What Im saying is this Im not going to trick you or anything. You know me better than that. So theres in truth no reason to wait. Were completely alone how often does that happen? and youve provided this very large and comfortable bed. . . .Not tonight, he said again.Dont you trust me?Of course I do.Using the hand that he was still kissing, I pu lled his face back up to where I could see his expression.Then whats the problem? Its not like you didnt know you were going to win in the end. I frowned and muttered, You always win.Just hedging my bets, he said calmly.Theres something else, I guessed, my eyes narrowing. There was a defensiveness about his face, a faint hint of some secret motive he was trying to hide behind his casual manner. Are you planning to go back on your word?No, he promised solemnly. I swear to you, we will try. After you marry me.I shook my head, and laughed glumly. You make me feel like a villain in a melodrama twirling my mustache while I try to steal some poor girls virtue.His eyes were wary as they flashed across my face, then he quickly ducked down to press his lips against my collarbone.Thats it, isnt it? The short laugh that escaped me was more shocked than amused. Youre trying to protect your virtue I covered my mouth with my hand to muffle the giggle that followed. The words were so . . . old-f ashioned.No, silly girl, he muttered against my shoulder. Im trying to protect yours. And youre making it shockinglydifficult.Of all the ridiculous -Let me ask you something, he interrupted quickly. Weve had this discussion before, but humor me. How many slew in this room have a soul? A dick at heaven, or whatever there is after this life?Two, I answered immediately, my voice fierce.All right. Maybe thats true. Now, theres a world full of racket about this, but the vast majority seem to think that there are some rules that have to be followed.Vampire rules arent enough for you? You want to worry about the human ones too?It couldnt hurt. He shrugged. Just in case.I glared at him through narrowed eyes.Now, of course, it might be too late for me, even if you are right about my soul.No, it isnt, I argued angrily. mebibyte shalt not kill is commonly accepted by most major belief systems. And Ive killed a lot of people, Bella.Only the bad ones.He shrugged. Maybe that counts, perhaps i t doesnt. But you havent killed anyone -That you know about, I muttered.He smiled, but otherwise ignored the interruption. And Im going to do my best to keep you out of temptations way.Okay. But we werent fighting over committing murder, I reminded him.The same principle applies the only difference is that this is the one area in which Im just as spotless as you are. Cant I leave one rule unbroken?One?You know that Ive stolen, Ive lied, Ive envyed . . . my virtue is all I have left. He grinned crookedly.I lie all the time.Yes, but youre such a bad liar that it doesnt real count. Nobody believes you.I really hope youre wrong about that because otherwise Charlie is about to burst through the door with a loaded gun.Charlie is happier when he pretends to swallow your stories. Hed rather lie to himself than look too closely. He grinned at me.But what did you ever covet? I asked doubtfully. You have everything.I coveted you. His smile darkened. I had no right to want you but I rea ched out and took you anyway. And now look whats become of you Trying to seduce a vampire. He shook his head in mock horror.You can covet whats already yours, I informed him. Besides, I thought it was my virtue you were worried about.It is. If its too late for me . . . Well, Ill be damned no pun intend if Ill let them keep you out, too.You cant make me go somewhere you wont be, I vowed. Thats my definition of hell. Anyway, I have an easy solution to all this lets never die, all right?Sounds simple enough. Why didnt I think of that?He smiled at me until I gave up with an angry humph. So thats it. You wont sleep with me until were married.Technically, I cant ever sleep with you.I rolled my eyes. Very mature, Edward.But, other than that detail, yes, youve got it right.I think you have an ulterior motive.His eyes widened innocently. Another one?You know this will speed things up, I accused.He tried not to smile. There is only one thing I want to speed up, and the rest can wait forever . . . but for that, its true, your impatient human hormones are my most powerful ally at this point.I cant believe Im going along with this. When I think of Charlie . . . and Rene Can you imagine what Angela will think? Or Jessica? Ugh. I can hear the gossip now.He raised one eyebrow at me, and I knew why. What did it matter what they said about me when I leaving soon and not coming back? Was I really so oversensitive that I couldnt bear a few weeks of sideways glances and leading questions?Maybe it wouldnt bug me so much if I didnt know that I would probably be gossiping just as condescendingly as the rest of them if it was someone else getting married this pass.Gah. Married this summer I shuddered.And then, maybe it wouldnt bug me so much if I hadnt been raised to shudder at the thought of marriage.Edward interrupted my fretting. It doesnt have to be a big production. I dont need any fanfare. You wont have to tell anyone or make any changes. Well go to Vegas you can wear old jeans and well go to the chapel with the drive-through window. I just want it to be official that you lead to me and no one else.It couldnt be any more official than it already is, I grumbled. But his description didnt sound that bad. Only Alice would be disappointed.Well see about that. He smiled complacently. I suppose you dont want your ring now?I had to swallow before I could speak. You suppose correctly.He laughed at my expression. Thats fine. Ill get it on your finger soon enough.I glared at him. You talk like you already have one.I do, he said, unashamed. Ready to force upon you at the first sign of weakness.Youre unbelievable.Do you want to see it? he asked. His liquid topaz eyes were suddenly shining with excitement.No I almost shouted, a reflex reaction. I regretted it at once. His face barbaric ever so slightly. Unless you really want to show it to me, I amended. I gritted my teeth together to keep my illogical terror from showing.Thats all right, he shrugged. It can w ait.I sighed. Show me the damn ring, Edward.He shook his head. No.I studied his expression for a long minute.Please? I asked quietly, experimenting with my newly discovered weapon. I touched his face lightly with the tips of my fingers. Please can I see it?His eyes narrowed. You are the most precarious creature Ive ever met, he muttered. But he got up and moved with unconscious grace to kneel next to the small bedside table. He was back on the bed with me in an instant, sitting beside me with one arm around my shoulder. In his other hand was a little black box. He balanced it on my left knee.Go ahead and look, then, he said brusquely.It was harder than it should have been to pick up the inoffensive little box, but I didnt want to hurt him again, so I tried to keep my hand from shaking. The surface was smooth with black satin. I brushed my fingers over it, hesitating.You didnt choke a lot of money, did you? Lie to me, if you did.I didnt spend anything, he assured me. Its just anoth er hand-me-down. This is the ring my father gave to my mother.Oh. Surprise colored my voice. I pinched the lid between my thumb and forefinger, but didnt open it.I supposed its a little outdated. His tone was playfully apologetic. Old-fashioned, just like me. I can get you something more modern. Something from Tiffanys?I like old-fashioned things, I mumbled as I hesitantly lifted the lid.Nestled into the black satin, Elizabeth Masens ring sparkled in the dim light. The face was a long oval, set with slanting rows of glittering round stones. The band was gold delicate and narrow. The gold made a fragile web around the diamonds. Id never seen anything like it.Unthinkingly, I stroked the shimmering gems.Its so pretty, I murmured to myself, surprised.Do you like it?Its beautiful. I shrugged, deceit a lack of interest. Whats not to like?He chuckled. See if it fits.My left hand clenched into a fist.Bella, he sighed. Im not going to solder it to your finger. Just try it on so I can see i f it needs to be sized. Then you can take it right off.Fine, I grumbled.I reached for the ring, but his long fingers beat me there. He took my left hand in his, and slid the ring into place on my third finger. He held my hand out, and we both examined the oval sparkling against my skin. It wasnt quite as awful as Id feared, having it there.A perfect fit, he said indifferently. Thats nice saves me a slip-up to the jewelers.I could hear some strong emotion burning under the casual tone of his voice, and I stared up at his face. It was there in his eyes, too, visible despite the careful nonchalance of his expression.You like that, dont you? I asked suspiciously, commotion my fingers and thinking that it was really too bad that I had not broken my left hand.He shrugged his shoulders. Sure, he said, still casual. It looks very nice on you.I stared into his eyes, trying to decipher the emotion that smoldered just under the surface. He gazed back, and the casual pretense suddenly slipped away. He was glowing his angels face brilliant with joy and victory. He was so glorious that it knocked me breathless.Before I could bring in that breath, he was kissing me, his lips exultant. I was lightheaded when he moved his mouth to whisper in my ear but his breathing was just as ragged as mine.Yes, I like it. You have no idea.I laughed, gasping a little. I believe you.Do you mind if I do something? he murmured, his arms tightening around me.Anything you want.But he let me go and slid away.Anything but that, I complained.He ignored me, taking my hand and pulling me off the bed, too. He stood in front of me, hands on my shoulders, face serious.Now, I want to do this right. Please, please, keep in mind that youve already agreed to this, and dont ruin it for me.Oh, no, I gasped as he slid down onto one knee.Be nice, he muttered.I took a deep breath.Isabella undulate? He looked up at me through his impossibly long lashes, his golden eyes soft but, somehow, still scorching. I p romise to love you forever every single day of forever. Will you marry me?There were many things I wanted to say, some of them not nice at all, and others more disgustingly gooey and romantic than he probably dreamed I was capable of. Rather than embarrass myself with either, I whispered, Yes.Thank you, he said simply. He took my left hand and kissed each of my fingertips before he kissed the ring that was now mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment